Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Controller
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Staff Accountants are organized and efficient, with an eye for detail and high level of accuracy. Staff Accountants can expect to handle communications with vendors, clients, internal departments, assist with inventory, database, and record maintenance, prepare financial reports, issue checks, make deposits, and generally ensure that the office operations are running smoothly. You should be professional and courteous with strong computer skills and a thorough understanding of accounting and financial principles.
To succeed as a Staff Accountant, you should be a skilled multi-tasker with excellent time management, computer, and communication skills. Candidates should understand and abide by all accounting procedure and principles and have a commitment to ethical and professional behavior in the workplace.
The Staff Accountant should oversee the strategic objectives of the Company’s accounting department through design, implementation, maintenance and management of all functions and procedures. Post transactions to journals, ledgers, and other records. Will be required to interface with Management and other company employees. Requires understanding of accounting procedures and minimum 4 or more years of relevant experience.Read More
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Update cash forecast and outstanding check list with transactions from bank website daily.
- Research new customer credit applications, approves, determines credit limits, terms, and taxability.
- Complete new vendor applications and obtain necessary documents.
- Posting and processing journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded.
- Prepare and file General Excise Tax Filings.
- Prepare and file various periodic tax filings (Bottle Fax, Fuel Tax, DCCA, etc.)
- Monthly Bank Reconciliations.
- Assist with reviewing of expenses, payroll records etc. as assigned.
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements and other financial statements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines.
- Update financial data to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed.
- Reconcile and maintain balance sheet accounts.
- Communicate with customers, vendors, and company employees via phone, email, mail or personally as needed.
- Assist in preparing budgets and forecasts, period end closing, payroll processing, annual audit.
- Survey & Census Data Compilation
- Trackmax – enter/review program information, reconcile payments, report maintenance.
- Make recommendations to improve quality of accounting policies and procedures.
- Maintain thorough and well-organized files and documents.
- Maintain financial security by adhering to internal accounting controls.
- Reviews accounting operations, which include financial accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Assist and guide the daily operations of accounting staff.
- Assist with projects as needed.
- Operate computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices.
- Access computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
- Operate 10-key calculator, typewriter, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience – Four-year college or university program certificate; or four or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills – Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills – Microsoft Office programs, Canopy.
Other Skills and Abilities – 10-key by touch.
Physical Demands – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment – The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.